12.15.2009

Memphistory





Three more early Memphis classics, all gleaned from elsewhere, where elsewhere is the linklist anonymously served up in the comments to this former post. I'd grabbed a version of the Gangsta Pat & Legion of Doome .rar a while back (Shootin on Narcs Pt. II) but it was fun to revisit today. Fake female bass fetish in the model of "Bitches Reply", kind of sounds like if Ween did a better job at themselves. Hilarious, explicit gender fantasy.

The other two tracks are new to me today, so I've been able to enjoy them on repeat. Both seem to share a lot of qualities with the emerging raps of other southern regions around the same time. LDOG's offering sports the most eccentric production of the three. Geto Boys / Ganksta N-I-P style brutality with unique samples and the sort of synth bass line we've already seen from contemporaneous cuts (M-Team, Men of the Hour, Radical T, SMK aka KMSM) which evolved (through measure of stylistic restraint) into the harder backbones of early Ball & G joints. Meanwhile, the drums share some essential qualities of flow with the Famous Lowdown Boys single from New Orleans and every reader here should be begging Noz to post that on his site because he is the only motherfucker who has that record. I wouldn't sleep on the other two LDOG tracks that came with this either, so yall follow my tracks, or, I mean, follow the tracks I followed. Other people's feet. And someone wise from the Memphis area, fill in the acronym. Who is L.D.O.G.? Why does the intro say "Chicago City"?

And then BRRRRR, Icy K raps clean for the radio. Poster / homie Thug Doubt placed this as a response to the "no rap" commercial radio campaign of the time. Similar themes explored on the other side to this single, "My Kind of Music".


1 comments:

boi-dan said...

Can you possibly find KC Redd's It's A G Thang album, [Take Fo' Records]?

I see you found some other Take Fo' releases awhile back.

Thanks