5.27.2009

Proto Bass Jumpin

Krush 2 "Ghetto Jump"
(1986, Sunnyview) @ 320

The Ghetto Style DJs had security guys in the group and the PacJam was our headquarters. There were sometimes a dozen of us. I was never a great rapper but I got into talking to the crowd and they'd talk back. We started doing a dance called the "Ghetto Jump" that I did during parties and concerts using a heavy bass dance beat. It was the origin of the Miami Bass sound. So a record producer gets this guy to do the song and I was credited on the record as the originator of the song. But I never got a penny from the producer. I decided that I'd forgo the royalties if the guy (I can't even remember the shits name) would play the PacJam for free. I figured I'd get a few bills out of the record one way or the other. But the motherfucker wouldn't do it. So I said that if that motherfucker could do a record of my shit and make money then so could I.

-
Luke, from As Nasty As They Wanna Be (1992, Barricade)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is huge. Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

i love this blog

Anonymous said...

post more dallas boogie

kukhuvud said...

Damn, the link is dead :(

kid slizzard said...

I'll hook u up if I can, but I'm in between spots...