5.19.2008

Three 6 Breaks

Mystic Pimpin: Triple 6 Mafia Breaks Da Mixtape (Side A, Side B)

Alright, I've ripped a pile of tapes for this blog, now I'm flipping it and its yall's turn to dub this mp3 on cassette. Just over 90 minutes of Three 6 sample sources brought to you in non-stop form, compiled and cut with listening (as opposed to re-sampling) in mind. That's why I left Marvin Gaye's "Is That Enough?" almost fully in tact but cut Teena Marie's "Out on a Limb" down to size.

Anyways, I'm serious about yall making a tape of this. It's like ten dollars for a new walkman that works better than any one from 10 years ago (if you don't still have an old one laying around), and if you're too young to have ever had one its not too late to feel the joy of that hard mechanical play button. I'm currently using these cheesy ass cassettes, which I have a pile of and am generally fond of since they remind me of taping the radio when I was 6 years old. I did do a double take, though, when I saw Maxell XLII's going for 5 dollars a double-pack at Amoeba. You could buy 25 of their budget cassettes for that price, tape the corners up and start killing music with home taping.

'Memphis Pimpin' music, the only genre designation I know of to reference the place and status of listener (not creator), is scattered all over this mixtape along with a lot of new age sounding shit that helped give Three 6 their mystic style. A lot of these breaks are standard rap fare - you'll surely recognize the meandering piano on "Ike's Mood" from like every Mannie Fresh production before '95. Others, like Willie Hutch's "I Choose You", they've completely owned, despite Hutch samples going back to Public Enemy & Pac. Actually, it was listening to "Souljah's Revenge" that helped me place the Bill Withers sample on here... I guess there's no sampling in a vacuum.

I tried not to retrace this blog's footsteps, omitting "Drag Rap" & "Bitches Reply", but also eventually decided to chunk the Exorcist and Halloween themes on the basis of flow disruption. Lamont Dozier's "Shine" was always intended but failed to make it due to time constraints.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the second song that is sampled in like every memphis hardcore song

kid slizzard said...

more details?

dj hot grits said...

real stoked on this. thanks for putting this together!!

dj hot grits said...

also, im guessin that D Frank is referring to everlasting bass

kid slizzard said...

in that case, yo D, you can check the tracklist sideways in the cover image, click to make it larger

Unknown said...

Dope. I'd buy this on tape. 1 for me, 1 to sell on eBay in 2014.

BS1 said...

Any chance there's going to be another one of these? Ive listened to this a lot since i got downloaded it May.

BS1 said...

BTW great job on putting this together