3.16.2008

Lord Infamous


Selections from Scott Bejda's interview with Lord Infamous from the latest Murderdog (Vol.5 #1). Dude asks him if he was nervous the first time he performed as a 9 yr old, Infamous says "yes". Actually, he says a lot of shit (no help from Bejda), like inadvertently (or maybe advertently?) revealing what went wrong with Three 6. Yall got your grammy, now get back with the dark arts:

I switched up my style because Paul use to always tell me, “You need to simplify your style because some brothers don’t read the stuff you read, and they are not into the dark arts like you are.” I tried to simplify, but it wan’t my fault that people weren’t educated or into the things that I was into. I was diluting my own style and I had to stop doing that. I felt that unless you put them up on some knowledge then they won’t be on no knowledge… …I love cats like Spice 1, MC Eiht, WC and DOC. They got that sick flow. I also like the dark rappers like Gangsta Nip, Point Blank and K-Rino. I have always been on the wicked side of things. I call it the dark art…We live in a world of turmoil. This is Satan’s Realm. This is not God’s realm at all. I try not to love things of this world because if you’re a worldly man then you’re not a godly man. That is why I don’t glamorize the bling. I only have one song about that and it’s a mockery of ice. I’m talking about robbing the rappers who support that shit… …I’m not one of them cats who will just hop on a record and wear all this jewelry because I don’t do that. I don’t drive no big fancy-ass car. I roll with my girl because they took my license a long time ago, and I don’t drive Bentleys either! The money that is spent on a Bentley can feed many children. What would you spend 100-200 grand on? When I get a check like that I give some of it to my mom. I might take my girl out, pay bills and I just try to survive…Do you think you will ever be in Three 6 again? I’m always Three 6 Mafia. I am one of the founders of the group. I am the one who came up with the name “Triple Six Mafia”; a lot of people may not know that. I created that name. Me and Paul grew together and one of the first places we ever did song was in church. How old were you? Were you nervous? I was only 10 years old. I was nervous as hell. We did “Amazing Grace”.

2 comments:

kid slizzard said...

(cont. from interview, not published in mag)

Did you used to listen to Esham? I see some similarities in your subject matter.

Me and Paul were both big fans of Esham. I remember back when all of them fires were hitting Detroit. Esham was into the dark art. I wonder what happened to that cat?

Esham is about to release a new album called "Sacrificial Lambs."

Esham has been putting it down for a long ass time. I was a real big Ganksta Nip fan too. When we started we were called The Serial Killers and we did a show with Ganksta Nip in Club Obsession. We were still in high school.

That’s crazy. What else was going on in Memphis at that time?

After I got kicked out of high school I was hanging out in North Memphis and I started hearing about this cat. I had a girlfriend at that time and she lived in Hertz Village and she would always tell me about these cats named Skinny Pimp And 211. One day I was playing basketball with 211 and I didn’t even know he was 211. One day I was riding the bus and I met Crunchy Black and that was before I knew he was Crunchy Black. I didn’t know he was this cat that everybody was talking about at the skating rink. He was juking his ass off and everybody knew about it. I sat behind him on the bus and we got to talking. We were both in blue dickies and chuck tailors because back then we were into the LA culture. I told him I got a brother named DJ Paul and he was making these mixtapes. Crunchy had already met Paul one time and we didn’t even know it. That’s how we hooked up with him. I met Skinny in North Memphis and Skinny hooked us up with Juicy J. Then Paul met Juicy and he started coming out to the house.

How did you meet Koopsta Knicca?

Koop is from Texas. He came out here after his mother and father passed away. He was an orphan. Crunchy was an orphan too but he would stay with his auntie and in and out of detention homes.

How did Gangsta Boo get into the picture?

Paul met Boo from high school. Everyone was telling us about this girl who could rap real well. Boo was like a tomboy back then. That is how all of us came together.

When did Scan Man and MC Mack join up?

Scan Man was Koopsta’s friend and so was MC Mack. Project Pat was in prison at that time and his first time was a robbery charge. When he got out he started rapping with us. Pat started jumping on Juicy J’s mixtapes, and then he brought out "Murderers, Robbers". He recorded some of those songs at my house in South Memphis. That was back in 1991-92

kid slizzard said...

Are you pretty happy with the album?

I’m happy with it and I can’t complain. I had something to prove to myself. Me and my little brother talked a lot and he told me I’m good at it and I shouldn’t stop doing it. Everybody always said that I shouldn’t let my talent go to waste. The truth is things were really messed up for me. I was suicidal and I tried killing myself. I was depressed and I didn’t know where my life was going.

You tried to kill yourself?

I tried to cut my wrists.

How did you get out of that dark place in your life?

My girlfriend helped me out a lot. I guess that is what I needed in my life. I was at Logan’s Restaurant and she was a waitress over there. We talked a lot and got a lot of shit off of our chests to each other and she told me I should go back out there and do it. A lot of the fans helped me too. I needed somebody in my life at that time. I was by myself going through depression. I suffer from depression and I wasn’t taking no medication or nothing. Actually I tried to commit suicide two or three times. I cut my wrists twice and I over dosed a couple of times too.

Was it with cocaine or what?

It was cane and taking a lot of pills too. I don’t mind you putting this in the interview because people need to know about addiction and suicide. If I had killed myself I would’ve never put out this album. I’m back on my feet now and this is something people need to know.